Alice, originally from Salisbury, is a violinist and viola player with a historical performance specialism, a creative learning and participation practitioner and an enthusiastic educator.
Alice enjoys an active freelance performing career including with many leading period ensembles, such as Instruments of Time and Truth, La Nuova Musica , Canzona and Music For Awhile. Alice held the Belsize Baroque Bursary 2018-19. Alice is a founding member of FIGO, an emerging chamber ensemble specialising in historically informed performance. With FIGO, Alice has enjoyed her time on the BREMF Live Scheme 2018, various recitals in London (including in Wigmore Hall), Newbury and Hexham and their residency The Clifton International Festival of Music (2018 -2020). FIGO are enjoying preparations for their recital at The Brecon Baroque Festival October 2020.
Alice also enjoys facilitating community music making having been Open Academy Fellow - RAM 2018-2019. Alice found this a truly transfomative experience and would like to thank the Open Academy for their support and guidance. A few highlights (please see CV for full list) include:
- working with Spitalfields Music Creative Encounters, a creative residency in Tower Hamlets Care homes (see Alice's reflective blogpost here)
- organising and performing Music For The Moment concerts, most recently in the Wigmore Hall sharing Baroque music with those living with dementia and their families and carers
- organising and performing in Wigmore's For Crying Out Loud concert series, sharing baroque music with babies and their families
- a baroque project at Rhyl Primary School, introducing year 3 students to the baroque compositional elements. This project allowed Alice to be a support musician, mentor to RAM students, lead break-out groups and be the animateur for the final sharing.
- Spitalfields/Open Academy KS2 School Show tour, devising and developing the show with Hazel Gould and Jessie Maryon Davies
- a music technology project at St Ann's School with young people with complex profound to severe learning difficulties
- visits to the Royal London Hospital School
- Academy Tots sessions - introducing children age 2 to 4 to music through play
Alice is enjoying various freelance commitments in this field, such as her work at Superstrings Club as 'Comprov' (Composition and Improvisation) coach, at the Huntly Summer School, a Snape Maltings residency with Hold the Drama devising a KS2 show around mental health topics, workshop days at The Brecon Baroque Festival. Alice also enjoys delivering both private and peripatetic violin tuition. She is currently enjoying her employment at Wimbledon High School where she teaches violin to students age 7 to 17 and coaches two string quartet ensembles.
Alice recently graduated from The Royal Academy of Music with an MA with Distinction in Historical Performance where she studied as an Enlightenment Scholar under the tutelage of Rachel Podger, Nicolette Moonen and Jane Rogers. During her studies she performed at The Wigmore Hall (both violin and viola), at St. John’s Smith Square and in the Kohn Bach Cantata Series working with directors such as Jane Glover and Philippe Herreweghe. In July 2017 Alice received her Postgraduate Diploma with Distinction from The Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama, where she was an EMI Sound Foundation Scholar. Alice studied modern violin with Lesley Hatfield (Leader of BBC NOW) and Itzhak Rashkovsky and baroque violin with Rachel Podger. Favourite moments from her time at RWCMD include BBC NOW and WNO placements, being concert master for Verdi’s Falstaff under Carlo Rizzi’s baton, performing baroque concerti such as the Bach’s Double Violin Concerto with Simone Pirri and Valentini’s Four Violin Concerto with Rachel Podger and being principal second violin in Rachel Podger’s performance of Vivaldi’s Four Seasons. Alice graduated from The University of Bristol in 2015 with a 2:1 BA Honours in Music, and having led the symphony, chamber and festival orchestras, was awarded the Ladyman Bequest Prize.
2018 Belsize Baroque Bursary
2017 Historical Performance Enlightenment Scholarship to The Royal Academy of Music
2017 The Dartington International Summer School Foundation and The Music Sales Charitable Trust
2017 Denne Gilkes Memorial Trust
2015-2017/2018 EMI Sound Foundation Scholarship to The Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama
2016 Loan Fund for Musical Instruments
2016 Dartington Hall Trust Scholarship to Dartington International Summer School
2016 Bishop Pike Trust Award
2016/2018 Kirsten Scott Memorial Trust
2015 The Ladyman Bequest Prize for Chamber Music awarded on graduation from the University of Bristol
2014 The Eileen Merry Prize
To download Alice's CV or contact Alice please click here.
Or follow her on twitter